“If we teach today’s students as we taught yesterday’s, we rob them of tomorrow.” - John Dewey
Opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach, personalized learning is a method that puts the student at the center of learning.
Each individual is unique, has different interests and needs, and learns in a different way. Giving everyone the same course and the same assignments does not help students acquire the knowledge they need in order to succeed.
On the contrary, students that have learning issues or are behind others can feel worried and stressed, which does not help them advance. Students that are fast learners can get bored and feel unmotivated by the course’s offering.
This is where the personalized learning method comes in. In a personalized learning setting, teachers assess students’ strengths and needs, and they tailor the course and assignments specifically to a student’s capabilities and interests. In this way, each child can reach it’s potential and has a chance to succeed.
EdTech tools ease personalized learning
- With the help of digital tools, teachers can easily determine a student’s level.
- Teachers can focus on students individually and they can develop a personalized learning plan that fits the student’s needs and helps him advance.
- Different students, at different levels, can be instructed simultaneously.
- Students don’t need to worry anymore that they’re behind their peers.
- Students have a voice and take ownership of their learning; they become more confident and eager to learn.
- Studying goes further than the classroom walls, learning can happen anywhere.
- Performance is measured more easily.
If done right, personalized learning can be an effective method that has the potential to solve learning issues, keep students on track and ultimately improve the lives of many students.
Are you a teacher eager to introduce personalized learning into your classroom? Give Snowflake MultiTeach® a try by downloading the 14-days FREE trial using the link below:
Gates Foundation: Personalized learning
Ed Glosary: Personalized learning
The Tech Edvocate: Is personalized learning the future of education?
Understood Org.: Personalized learning - what you need to know
Medium: What is personalized learning?
EdWeek: What is 'personalized learning'? Educators seek clarity